Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid
search icon
Twitter bird

Title IV Authorization

What is Title IV aid?

Title IV aid refers to Federal Student Aid established by  the Higher Education Act of 1965 which also outlined the general rules that apply to those programs. The U.S. Department of Education (ED) regulations only allow schools to use your Federal Student Aid to pay for current academic year institutional charges, unless you have granted permission to apply these funds to non-allowable charges as well.  Examples of Title IV aid include, but are not limited to, Federal Direct Student Loans, Federal Pell Grant, Federal Perkins Loan and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants.

What must Title IV aid pay?

Your Title IV Federal Financial Aid will automatically pay your current year institutional charges (i.e. tuition, fees, room and board). You are not allowed to opt out not of paying these charges.

Which charges does the school need your permission to pay?

Per Title IV Federal regulations, you can voluntarily authorize the University of Arizona (UA) to pay your current year non-allowable charges with your Title IV Financial Aid. Examples of non-allowable charges include, but are not limited to, parking permits, library fines, ZonaZoo pass, Bookstore charges, and health insurance.

How to grant permission to pay non-allowable charges?

To grant permission:
1. Go to your UAccess Student Center
2. In the Finances box click “Financial Aid Authorization”
4. Read Permission/ Agreement Form
5. Click “NEXT”
6. Check “Yes” and submit

What charges are UA restricted from paying?

Prior academic year charges greater than $200 cannot be paid by UA with your Federal Student Aid. The school will release your current academic year’s funds without paying those charges. You may then pay your student account as you determine appropriate. Note: at UA, Summer term charges are considered prior academic year charges.

What Aid is not restricted?

All other aid you are receiving (other than Federal Title IV) will pay any charge on your account
regardless your permission concerning the Tittle IV aid. For example, scholarships or institutional grants will always pay any charge on your student account.

What happens if you do not grant permission to pay non-allowable charges?

If you do not grant permission to pay non-allowable charges with your Title IV aid, we will release your aid to your student account and pay only allowable charges for the current academic year. You may receive a refund and may be sent a bill for any charges that could not be paid with your Title IV aid. Receiving a refund does not indicate that there are no pending charges on your account. For account inquiries, you may visit your UAccess Student Center.


Balance due







Parking Permit



Health Center



Pell Grant



Direct Loan - Subsidized



Parent PLUS Loan



Refund to Student



Balance due $ 1,300

(Note: Even though a refund was issued for $3,475, this student would still owe $1,300 for non- allowable charges)

  • Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid, P.O. Box 210066, Tucson, AZ 85721
  • Phone: 520.621.1858
  • Fax: 520.621.9473