Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid
search icon
Twitter bird

Federal Work Study

Click on any question below to view the answer.

What is Federal Work-Study?

Federal Work-Study(FWS) is a federal financial aid program that provides funding for part-time jobs for undergraduates and graduates students. The University of Arizona(UA) receives limited allocation of funds for this program. UA students are able to find FWS employment both on and off campus. Jobs that are off campus must be non-profit, federal or state employers and have a signed, Off- Campus Agreement with the Office of Scholarships and Financial aid (OSFA).

How do I apply for work-study?

To apply for Federal Work-Study, you must submit a Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and show financial need. Priority is given to students who apply before our priority deadline of March 1st.

Are Federal Work-Study jobs on campus or off campus?

Both. If you work on campus, you'll usually work for your school. If you work off campus, your employer will usually be a private, nonprofit organization or a public agency.  To view what agencies participate in the Federal Work-Study program visit our website.

How much will I earn as work-study?

The amount you earn as a work-study student varies based on your employer. When you apply for a Federal Work Study job, your prospective employer will indicate your hourly wage for the available position.

Can I work as many hours as I want as a work-study student?

No.  Students can work up to 25 hours a week during the academic school year and up to 35 hours a week during non-enrollment periods (ex. winter and summer terms).  A typical college student will work an average of 10-15 hours a week.  It is important to remember, the amount you earn cannot exceed your total Federal Work-Study award.

By what date do I need to secure a Work-study position before my award is cancelled?

Students have approximately 6 weeks to secure a Work-Study position. After that time, students who do not yet have a job will have their award cancelled. During the summer, students have approximately 4 weeks to secure a Work-Study position.

Can I get a Work-Study job if I am not eligible for Work-Study?

No, you must be awarded Work-Study to receive a Work-Study job. However, there are many jobs on campus that do not require Work-Study.  Every student at the University of Arizona has the ability to register with Handshake at, UA's on-line job search website. This webpage will help you find work-study and non-work-study jobs.

If I have been awarded Work-Study, does that guarantee that I will get a job?

No.  You must take responsibility for finding your own job.  The process for getting a Work-Study job is the same as getting any other job.  You must apply, interview, be qualified for the position and receive a job offer.

  • Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid, P.O. Box 210066, Tucson, AZ 85721
  • Phone: 520.621.1858
  • Fax: 520.621.9473