Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid
search icon
Twitter bird

Verification Questions


Click on any question below to view the answer.

Do I need to provide proof of citizenship?

The Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid will e-mail you if you are required to submit proof of citizenship or any other documents. This request will also be on your UAccess under To-Do Items.

What documentation is sufficient to prove my U.S. Citizenship?

Your U.S. Citizenship can be documented with a photocopy of one of these signed documents:

  • U.S. Birth Certificate
  • Vital Record
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • U.S. Passport
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240)
  • Certification of Report of Birth (Form DS-1350)

My Certificate of Citizenship/Certificate of Naturalization instructs me not to photocopy. What should I do?

Older versions of the Certificate of Citizenship and the Certificate of Naturalization instruct the holder not to photocopy. The Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services has advised the Department that these documents may be photocopied if done for lawful purposes such as documenting eligibility for Federal Student Aid funds.

Social Security Number

Click on any question below to view the answer.

I am required to submit a copy of my Social Security Card, but I don't have one or I lost it. What can I do?

To request another copy of your Social Security Card, please contact the Social Security Administration on-line at, call 1.800.772.1213 or visit the local office at 3500 N. Campbell Ave.  We cannot accept other documentation for verification of your Social Security Number.   Without a copy of your Social Security Card, we cannot process and disburse your financial aid.

I am an international student and do not qualify for a social security number. What do I do?

If you do not qualify to apply for a social security number you may obtain an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). To initiate the ITIN process, you must contact the University of Arizona's Office of International Student Programs & Services at 520.621.4627. Additional information is available at

Selective Service

Click on any question below to view the answer.

Do I need to register with the Selective Service?

To be eligible for Federal financial aid, males who were born on or after January 1, 1960, are between the ages of 18 and 25 years old, and not currently on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces must register with the Selective Service. For further information about exemptions to this requirement visit

How do I register for Selective Service?

You may register online at the If you are not yet 18, you may register online 30 days prior to your 18th birthday.

  • Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid, P.O. Box 210066, Tucson, AZ 85721
  • Phone: 520.621.1858
  • Fax: 520.621.9473