Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid
search icon
Twitter bird

Financial Aid and Scholarships Top 10 Questions

1. What charges does my financial aid cover?

Your financial aid Cost of Attendance includes the average resident and nonresident expenses you are likely to incur during the academic year (fall and spring semesters) at the University of Arizona, including tuition and fees, housing and meals, travel to and from campus, miscellaneous expenses (i.e. laundry and personal care items), and loan fees.


To determine what charges you will be billed:

Per Title IV Federal regulations, you can voluntarily authorize the University of Arizona (UA) to pay all of your current year charges with your Title IV Financial Aid. More information about granting authorization is available at

2. Why is my aid not disbursing/releasing to my Bursar's account?

Financial aid typically disburses to your UA Bursar's account 7-10 days prior to the start of classes. The number one reason aid does not release at that time is because the student is not enrolled in enough units (typically at least 12 units). Visit for more information.

3. What does my To Do List item status mean?

To see the status definition(s) of your Student Services Center To Do Items, visit

4. How do I accept my Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans?

After students are awarded, they must complete three (3) steps steps to receive their Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans:

  • Accept loan(s) via UAccess Student 
  • Complete Loan Entrance Counseling
  • Complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN)

All three (3) steps must be complete for your loan(s) to release to your Bursar's account. For more information, visit

5. Do I have to borrow the entire Parent PLUS loan amount that I was offered and will my parents be approved?

You are not required to borrow and may borrow less than the amount offered when completing the Request-Confirmation form.


The Federal Parent PLUS Loan will only be denied for Adverse Credit reasons. If you do not have Adverse Credit, you will be approved. ED defines these conditions as reasons for adverse credit: bankruptcy, foreclosure, repossession, accounts currently 90 days or more delinquent, wage garnishment, or a tax lien. For more information, visit

6. What are the requirements to retain my UA Wildcat Excellence, Arizona Excellence, or other UA merit scholarship?

Students who have a UA merit tuition scholarship must complete at least 30 UA units per academic year (fall, winter, spring, summer) with a cumulative GPA of 3.000 or higher. VIsit for the full Terms and Conditions of your specific award.

7. I have a private donor scholarship check to turn in. Where do I take it?

Scholarship checks can be submitted to the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid in the lobby of the Administration Building, room 208. If your donor will send your check directly to UA, you may visit and download the Scholarship Designation Form for a mailing address to provide to your donor.

8. How can I find more scholarships?

Check out Scholarship Universe. Scholarship Universe matches UA students' academic and professional interest with scholarships that also are based on a range of unique characteristics including gender, class standing, and enrollment status. Log into the site with your UA NetID to access, view, and apply for scholarships.

9. What is the benefit of a Federal Work Study (FWS) position, how do I accept my FWS and where can I find a job?

Federal Work Study (FWS) employment is better than other student employment because the earnings are removed from income on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Your FWS earnings are not considered income earned when determining your "financial need" for future financial aid.


If you are offered FWS for the academic year, monitor your UA email account for an email from the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid with more information on how to find and utilize your award.


When looking for a FWS position, you may apply for any on campus position or an off campus position with an approved local non-profit organization. Many campus jobs can be found on Wildcat JobLink at


For more information about FWS, visit

10. Will my financial aid pay my Greek charges?

No. Payments for sorority or fraternity dues must be provided to your campus chapter. Greek life expenses are not included as educational expenses in your cost of attendance; however, you may use any financial aid refund you receive to help cover Greek life expenses.

For more Scholarship and Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions, visit

  • Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid, P.O. Box 210066, Tucson, AZ 85721
  • Phone: 520.621.1858
  • Fax: 520.621.9473