Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid
search icon
Twitter bird

Native American Funding Information

The University of Arizona (UA) offers our current and incoming Native American students personalized scholarship and financial aid service. For assistance in applying for scholarships from your tribe or nation's higher education office as well as other scholarships, grants, and financial aid (loans if necessary, Federal Work Study, etc.) read the following information and contact your financial aid counselor.


Funding Application Checklist:

  • Contact your tribe to find out the submission deadline and learn more about the application process (e.g. documents required, official or unofficial transcripts, apply each academic year or semester, renewal requirements, funding amounts)
  • Find out if you have a specific counselor at your tribe's higher education office and include it on your FNA
  • Ensure you are enrolled in the appropriate number of units your tribe requires to receive funding each semester
  • Complete and submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) (including UA school code: 001083) at least 2 months prior to your tribe's funding application deadline
  • Monitor your UAccess Student "To Do List" and complete all outstanding items
  • Turn in your Financial Needs Analysis (FNA) to the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid (OSFA) a minimum of 4-6 weeks prior to your tribe's funding application deadline
  • Ensure your tribe's funding application is complete and submitted to your tribe on time


Common items needed when applying for tribe funding:

  • Certificate of Indian Blood (CIB) or tribal enrollment ID card
  • UA admission letter and/or enrollment verification (proof of enrollment - see Question 5 below)
  • High school and/or higher education transcripts
  • A completed FAFSA for the corresponding academic year
  • Financial Aid Award Letter or Financial Needs Analysis (FNA)


What is a Financial Needs Analysis (FNA)?

A Financial Needs Analysis (or FNA) is a form typically required by your tribe or nation that the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid completes for you and returns to your tribe. The form contains information on your UA cost of attendance (tuition, fees, room/board etc.) and the resources (financial aid, Estimated Family Contribution from the FAFSA) you are receiving for the corresponding academic year or semester.


The purpose of an FNA is to assist your tribe in determining your eligibility for their scholarship and/or grant funding. When applying for funding from your tribe, an FNA is usually included in the application. Generally, you must complete your personal information and sign the form allowing our office to release your information. You must submit the remainder of the application to your tribe.

What do I need to complete before submitting my FNA to the financial aid office?

In order to complete an FNA, students need to ensure the corresponding academic year's FAFSA is complete and fully submitted. After you submit your FAFSA, it typically takes 4-6 weeks for our office to receive and process your financial aid.


What does this mean for my FNA processing?

We use the FAFSA data to build your Estimated Cost of Attendance and offer financial aid. Both of these pieces of information are commonly required by the tribe in order to review your application for assistance to pay educational costs. Students need to be sure the correct academic year's FAFSA is completed a minimum of 2 months prior to the tribe's application deadline.

How do I know when my FNA has been submitted to my tribe? Can I have a copy?

Our office will send you an email informing you once your FNA has been sent to your tribe. If your tribe has a website, create an account and check your progress there.

To request a copy of your FNA, please email our office at

Do I need to be enrolled full time to receive funding from my tribe?

Requirements vary by tribe and are based on federal and/or tribal regulations. Some tribes offer assistance for students who are part time, be sure you are enrolled in the appropriate number of units your tribe requires to receive funding. Using the information listed on the funding application, contact your tribe's higher education or main office to determine enrollment requirements.

How do I get proof of enrollment?

For information on requesting proof of enrollment, refer to the Registrar's website here.

What do I do after I submit by tribe's application?

If your tribe has a standard funding amount, we will add an estimate (Tribal Funds Placeholder) to your financial aid award letter from the UA. You should compare the scholarships and grants listed on your financial aid award letter to your Bursar account bill to determine if you qualify for a refund.

Visit the Bursar Office website here to calculate your estimated tuition and fee charges.

If you receive an award or denial letter from your tribe, submit this information to our office promptly so that adjustments can be made. If your award letter states the tribe will send funds directly to you for educational expenses our office must also receive a copy of the award letter.

Do I qualify for Arizona resident tuition as a member of my tribe?

If you are an enrolled member of a federally recognized Arizona tribe you may qualify for resident tuition. To verify residency, attach a copy of your Certificate of Indian Blood or Tribal Identification Card from your tribe to the Native American Exception form found here. Submit the form and attachments prior to attending the UA, once admitted.

When will I receive funds from my tribe?

Each tribe is unique and has different funding cycles. Contact your tribe to determine the timeline for application approvals and release of funds to OSFA. Our office starts to release all scholarships and financial aid approximately 10 days before the start of each semester and continues to release funds throughout the semester as additional funds are received.

To avoid delays with the processing of your aid, we encourage you to request that funds be sent to our office a minimum of 6 weeks prior to the start of the fall and spring semesters.

Instructions for sending tribal funds to UA

All checks should be made payable to the University of Arizona and include the student's name, UA ID, unit requirement, and the semester(s) the check is to be applied toward in a separate letter.

Funds you receive for educational purposes (including tuition, fees, books/supplies, room/board) should be mailed to the address below:


Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid
ATTN: Operations
1401 E. University Blvd.
Administration Bldg. Room 208
PO Box 210066
Tucson, AZ 85721-0066

Graduate Student Financial Aid

Graduate students are reviewed and offered financial aid for the next academic year during the preceding summer. Departmental awards may not be finalized by the department or Graduate College at the time your FNA is due. Therefore, graduate students must notify our office as soon as possible if being funded through Graduate Assistantships or stipends. Generally, graduate non-degree seeking students are not eligible for federal financial aid. View a list of common Graduate Student Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) here.

Graduate Student Enrollment

Our office offers graduate student aid and creates budgets at 6 graduate level units, which is part time for most programs. Full time for graduate students varies. Your tribe's definition of graduate full time course work may differ from your department's definition of full time. Visit the Graduate College website here to learn more.

What is financial aid?

Financial aid consists of different types of scholarships, grants, work study, and student and parent federal loans. The different types of financial aid are awarded based on various eligibility factors. Visit our General Financial Aid Questions FAQ page here for additional information on applying and qualifying for different types of aid.

Are there renewal requirements I must complete to receive my financial aid each semester?

Students must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) at the end of each semester in order to continue to receive federal and institutional financial aid. Review the SAP Policy on our website here to ensure you understand the requirements.

In addition, your tribe may have their own annual or semester renewal requirements (cumulative GPA or a minimum number of passing units) you must meet in order to continue receiving their assistance. If this information is not contained in your tribe's funding application or award letter contact them directly to ask about renewal requirements.

Additional Information

  • If your tribe or nation's higher education office does not require a FAFSA, provide a personal statement to our office when turning in your FNA for completion.
  • If you have questions about your dependency status as determined by the FAFSA click here.
  • If you are going to be enrolled in less than 12 undergraduate or 9 graduate units notify your financial aid counselor prior to the due date of your FNA and the start of the semester. Your enrollment determines your Cost of Attendance and the financial aid you are eligible to receive.


UA Resources

Native American Student Affairs: provides culturally sensitive academic counseling and support services to American Indian/Alaskan Native students

Scholarship Universe: a scholarship matching database, exclusive to UA students, to assist in finding additional scholarship opportunities

THINK TANK: a UA resource to support students academically with both free and fee based tutoring and advising services

Campus Health: provides quality medical and mental health care as well as pharmacy services to UA students

Bursar Office: provides student account and billing information; receives payments for tuition and fees

ResLife: provides information about on/off campus student housing

Meal Plan Office: provides meal plan options and costs

Registrar's Office: provides dates & deadlines for adding/dropping/withdrawing from classes

Academic Success & Achievement: serves to engage undergraduate students through a series of programs and services designed to assist in their academic success and retention at UA

  • Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid, P.O. Box 210066, Tucson, AZ 85721
  • Phone: 520.621.1858
  • Fax: 520.621.9473