Parent Responsible for the Loan:
This is a loan borrowed by the parent on behalf of the student. The parent is the borrower and is solely responsible for repaying the loan. The loan repayment obligations cannot be transferred to the student. The student has no obligation, legal or otherwise, to repay the loan.
Right to Cancel:
You are not required to borrow and may borrow less than the amount offered. You can request that disbursed funds be canceled and returned to the lender; however, any balance created by this request must be paid to the Bursar's Office in advance.
All financial aid awards are divided into two equal disbursements and paid to the student's account, half in the fall term and half in the spring term.
Deadline to Accept Loans:
Parents and/or students must accept Federal Direct Loans before the end of the academic term for which the student is registered
Students must accept Federal Direct Loans before the end of the academic term for which they are registered. If students are not registered for the spring term, their federal loans must be accepted and processed before the end of the fall term.
Important Dates: Federal loans requested after the follwing priority deadlines are subject to cancellation without notice.
- August 5, 2015 is the processing deadline for accepting 2014-2015 Federal Direct Loans for students enrolled in Summer Session courses.
- December 9, 2015 is the final date to accept loans for December graduates and students not enrolled in UA courses for Spring 2016. Any loans accepted after December 9th are subject to cancellation.
- May 4, 2016 is the deadline for accepting 2015-2016 Federal Direct Loans for students enrolled in Spring 2016 courses.
- August 3, 2016 is the deadline for accepting 2015-2016 Federal Direct Loans for students enrolled in Summer 2016 courses.
UA determines your eligibility for the Federal Direct Parent PLUS loan, and the Department of Education confirms your credit approval status.
Apply for a Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan
Step 1 - Student Provides or Updates Parent Guest Access
Your student needs to assign Guest Access to the parent(s) who will apply for the Parent PLUS Loan. For financial aid purposes, the parent(s) must be given the following level of access in the Financial Info section: View All, Make Payments, Parent PLUS Loan
Step 2 - Parent Applies for Parent PLUS Loan via Guest Access
Note: Your student must be offered a Parent PLUS Loan for you to be able to complete the application process.
Parent logs into UAccess Guest Center. If this is your first time accessing Guest Center, refer to the new-user email for your username and password. NOTE: You must complete the first two steps below before Step 3 will be available.
- Navigate to the Financial tab and select Parent PLUS Loan Application at the bottom to accept the loan.
- Select the Award Period and enter your legal first and last name, Social Security Number, and Date of Birth, then click "Submit".
- Check the “Accept” box and then specify the dollar amount you wish to borrow (whole dollars only; no cents).
- Complete the Parent PLUS Loan Application and click “Submit".
Step 3 - Parent Completes A Loan Agreement (Master Promissory Note - MPN)
Show Me How
You will need to complete a new MPN if:
You were denied the Federal Direct Parent PLUS loan due to adverse credit and previously utilized an endorser. A MPN with an endorser is only valid for one loan; a new MPN and endorsement are required each time a Parent PLUS loan is requested.
Requesting Additional Federal Direct Parent PLUS Funds
To request that an additional Parent PLUS Loan be offered to your student, you must contact our office at email@example.com or 520.621.1858. If two different parents intend to borrow a Parent PLUS loan for the student:
- Contact our office and request that your student is offered two separate Parent PLUS loans (one for each parent).
- Your student must provide each parent with separate Guest Access.
Requesting Cancelation of Your Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan
A written request (fax: 520.621.9473, email: firstname.lastname@example.org) is required to reduce or cancel a Parent PLUS Loan. Any account balance created as a result of the reduction or cancelation of a disbursed loan must be repaid immediately.