- Graduate-level students must be enrolled in graduate-level units at least half-time (5 units) to receive graduate-level aid.
- Graduate-level students cannot be enrolled in combinations of undergraduate and graduate units to meet the half-time status requirement for aid disbursement.*
- Non-degree-seeking students are not eligible for federal student loan funds.**
- To verify that a Federal Direct Loan is offered and ready to be accepted, login to your UAccess Student Center, click “View Financial Aid” and select the current school year.
- Graduate-level students are generally awarded in July for the upcoming fall/spring semesters.
- Federal regulations no longer allow graduate-level students to receive Federal Direct Subsidized Loans.
Three Steps to Success
If you completed a Master Promissory Note (MPN) since 2010 that lists UA as the designated school, you do not need a new MPN.
You need to complete a new MPN if:
A. Navigate UAccess Student and click Student Center
For federal student aid only, students must grant UA their permission for UA to pay charges other than tuition and mandatory fees with their federal student aid (grants and student loans).
Failure to grant permission may result in charges other than tuition and mandatory feeds remaining unpaid on the student's account after federal aid has disbursed. The student will be responsible for paying these charges even if all aid has disbursed.
Navigate to your UAccess Student Center
Students must complete separate loan entrance counseling session for graduate-level loans.
First-time UA borrowers must sign in and complete loan entrance counseling with the U.S. Department of Education.
First-time graduate students at UA must complete the Graduate Loan entrance counseling. The undergraduate entrance counseling completed while attending UA or another school is not sufficient for this requirement.
Rates and Discounts - Graduate Students
New rates and Origination fees for loans first disbursed between July 1, 2016 and June 30, 2017:
- 5.31% Unsubsidized loan fixed interest rate on or after July 1, 2016
- 5.84% Unsubsidized loan fixed interest rate before July 1, 2016
- 8.25% lifetime interest rate cap (undergraduate cap)
- 1.069% Origination Fee starting October 1, 2016
- 1.068% Origination Fee before October 1, 2016
- Lender is the U.S. Department of Education
- Loans are serviced by U.S. Department of Education-contracted agencies
*For the most up to date interest rates visit the U.S. Department of Education website
These interest rates are only for new loans first disbursed on or after July 1, 2016. Prior loans are not affected by this change
**Non-degree seeking graduate students may submit a Petition for Graduate Preparatory Work to be reviewed for federal funding.