Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid
search icon
Twitter bird

Applying for Financial Aid

Click on any question below to view the answer.

Do I need to be a U.S. citizen to receive financial aid?

You must be one of the following to receive federal student aid:

  • U.S. citizen
  • U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swain's Island)
  • U.S. permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551, or I-551C (Alien Registration Card)

If you're not in one of these categories, you must be an eligible non-citizen and must have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) showing one of the following destinations:

  • "Refugee"
  • "Asylum Granted"
  • "Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending”
  • "Conditional Entrant" (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980)
  • "Parolee"

If you have only a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464), you are not eligible for federal student aid.

If you are in the United States on an F1 or F2 student visa or a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, you cannot get federal student aid.

Also, persons with G series visas (pertaining to international organizations) are not eligible for federal student aid.

Citizens of the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Republic of Palau are eligible only for Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)'s, or Federal Work-Study. These applicants should check with the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid for more information.

What are the general student eligibility requirements to receive financial aid?

  • File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  • Be a US Citizen or eligible non-citizen with a valid social security number
  • Demonstrate completion of high school with one of the following:
    • have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED Certificate, OR
    • pass an approved ability-to-benefit (ATB) test OR
    • complete a high school education in a home setting approved under state law.

Is financial aid available for international students?

For information regarding financial aid for International Students, you may contact the International Affairs Office at:

International Affairs
The University of Arizona
935 North Tyndall Avenue
Tucson, Arizona 85721-0528
United States of America
Tel: 1.520.621.1900
Fax: 1.520.626.4266

How do I apply for financial aid?

You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at for the appropriate academic year and list the University of Arizona (Title IV School Code 001083) as one of the schools on the FAFSA.

Do I have to pay to apply for Financial Aid or Scholarships?

The UA does not advise students to pay for a company or an individual to locate funds for college.

You should never pay a fee to file the Free Application for Federal Aid (FAFSA), or to have someone fill out the FAFSA for you. This form can be completed on-line at The FAFSA itself will guide you and provide detailed explanations for each question. If you need help filling out the FAFSA please direct your questions to the Office of Scholarships and Financial aid at 520-621-1858 or you may call the FAFSA Help Line at 1800.4FED.AID. 

The only OSFA recommended financial aid process that may involve a fee is to complete the College Board’s CSS/ Financial Aid PROFILE—although this fee is usually waived for low income students. Only complete the PROFILE if you are specifically requested to do so by the UA Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.

Scholarship Universe is another free resource for UA students. Scholarship Universe matches students’ academic and professional interest with scholarships that also are based on a range of unique characteristics including gender, class standing, and enrollment status. Log into the site with your UA NetID to access, view, and apply for scholarships.

Information about scholarship scams is available at

How does the school inform me of important information?

You will either receive a written communication or email from OSFA regarding any award changes or requests for information. You can always check your financial aid status on UAccess.

  • Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid, P.O. Box 210066, Tucson, AZ 85721
  • Phone: 520.621.1858
  • Fax: 520.621.9473