Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid
search icon
Twitter bird

Changing My FAFSA

Click on any question below to view the answer.

If I made a mistake on the FAFSA form, what should I do?

If you need to make corrections on the FAFSA, they can be made on-line at Click “Start Now.”  Corrections can also be made on the Student Aid Report (SAR) that is mailed to the student after the FAFSA is processed. The SAR should be returned to the Federal Processor. DO NOT send SAR corrections to our office.

I had intended to begin in the fall and filed my FAFSA for then, but I will not attend until the spring. Do I need to complete another FAFSA?

You do not have to file another FAFSA for the spring if you already filed one and submitted it for fall. Do contact our office to notify us of your change in enrollment plans.

I submitted my FAFSA under the wrong SSN, what should I do?

Your Social Security Number (SSN) and name must be correct on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

If you made a mistake when entering your name, you may submit corrections by accessing your SAR at and select Make Corrections to a Processed FAFSA.

  • You must re-file a new FAFSA if:
    • Your SSN was reported incorrectly
    • Your name has officially changed (for example, you got married).  
  • Prior to re-filing your FAFSA, complete these steps:
  •  Report changes to the Social Security Administration (SSA) office.
  •   Request a new PIN at  by selecting Apply For A PIN using your new legal name. 
  •  Re-file and submit your FAFSA once your name change has been processed by the SSA.

The FAFSA you have already submitted cannot be deleted and you will have two applications on file. Therefore, you must contact our office regarding this to ensure we receive the correct application.

I just had a child, for whom I provide 50% or more of the support. Do I need to make corrections to my FAFSA indicating I now have a dependent?

You will need to make corrections indicating that you now have a dependent either by using you Student Aid Report (SAR) or by using If you also have childcare expenses, you may want to complete a Budget Re-evaluation form and turn it into the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.  This form can be downloaded from our webpage at Scholarships and Financial Aid Forms.

My grade level will change after summer. How do I complete the FAFSA to reflect this?

Please complete the FAFSA with your current classification. If it changes after summer session classes, please contact OSFA so your file may be re-evaluated.

I recently got married. Do I need to make corrections to my FAFSA indicating I am now married?

Federal guidelines do not allow for you to update marital status in the middle of an awarding year. Once you file the FAFSA indicating that you are single, you will not be able to change that information until you file the FAFSA again for the following year.

I didn't send my FAFSA information to University of Arizona. How do I send it there?

You can make this correction at and add the school code 001083. Please do not send in your Student Aid Report as it will not be used to process your financial aid. All FAFSA information must be received electronically from the Federal Processor.

  • Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid, P.O. Box 210066, Tucson, AZ 85721
  • Phone: 520.621.1858
  • Fax: 520.621.9473