Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid
search icon
Twitter bird

Dependency Status

Click on any question below to view the answer.

I will be 24 this year. Am I considered independent according to the Department of Education?

Yes, if you turned 24 before January 1.

My parents don’t help pay for my college education. Am I considered independent?

No. According to the Department of Education, you must have answered “yes” to one of the following questions on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid:

  • Were you born before January 1, 1994 (question 46)?
  • As of today, are you married? (Answer "Yes" if you are separated, but not divorced.) (question 47)
  • At the beginning of the 2017-2018 school year, will you be working on a master's or doctorate program (such as an MA, MBA, MD, JD, PhD, EdD, or graduate certificate, etc.) (question 48)?
  • Are you currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training (question 49)?
  • Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces (question 50)?
  • Do you have children who will receive more than half of their support from you between July 1, 2017, and June 30, 2018 (question 51)?
  • Do you have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and who receive more than half of their support from you, now and through June 30, 2018 (question 52)?

There are special circumstances (one of them includes you being a ward of the court) which would also make you eligible for independent status.

  • Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid, P.O. Box 210066, Tucson, AZ 85721
  • Phone: 520.621.1858
  • Fax: 520.621.9473