If you were offered Federal Work Study(FWS) for the 2013-2014 academic year, on the first week of August you will receive an email from the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid giving you more information on how to find a job and utilize your award.
The Federal Work-Study Program (FWS) is a federal financial aid program that provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students. Jobs are available both on and off campus. In order to qualify for FWS, you must apply for financial aid and show documented financial need.
There are several benefits associated with FWS:
- FWS provides opportunities for employment that are related to your course of study.
- FWS employers are flexible and willing to work around your class schedule.
- FWS employment provides beneficial resume-building experience and training. It can also provide you with opportunities to enhance your interpersonal communication and time management skills while developing work related skills and responsibilities that can lead to career opportunities while still in school.
- FWS employment is better than normal employment because the earnings are removed from income on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). So, your FWS earnings are not considered when figuring your "financial need" for future financial aid.
If you were not awarded FWS, you may contact the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid at 520.621.1858 to review your eligibility.
If you have already been offered FWS through the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid, click on the FWS checklist below for important information on what you MUST do to obtain a position through the FWS program.
Printable .doc file to assist students in obtaining a Federal Work Study job.
Finding FWS Jobs
- On Campus - Career Services
- Off Campus - at local Non-profit Organizations Federal Work Study (FWS) Information for Nonprofit Organizations (includes America Reads * America Counts - Ideal for students interested in Education)
- Federal Work Study Job Opportunities.
Expectations regarding your Federal Work Study job.
Calendar with important Federal Work Study dates.
Federal Work Study employment rules and regulations.
Additional policies and procedures of campus employment:
- On campus employees see your employer (each office has specific time sheets).
- Off campus employees can use these time sheets.
- 2013-2014 Time sheets
- This is an Excel file which will help you keep track of your remaining FWS eligibility. You will need to save this .xls file to your computer.