Accept Loans: Parents
BEFORE YOU CONTINUE: If you have placed a security freeze on your credit file, you must lift or remove the freeze at each credit bureau before you continue. Your application will not be processed if you have a security freeze.
Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan
The Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan is borrowed by the parent on behalf of the student. The parent is the borrower and is solely responsible for repaying the loan. The loan repayment obligations cannot be transferred to the student. The student has no obligation, legal or otherwise, to repay the loan.
1Student Provides or Updates Parent Guest Access
- Student logs into their UAccess Student Center and selects "Guest Manager" under the "Personal" menu.
- Click "Add New Guest"
- Create a Guest Username, enter Guest Email ID, activate Guest Status, and assign Guest Access Control in the Financial Info section to “View All Access, Make Payment, Parent PLUS Loan.” After you save, a new-user email will be sent to your parent. Note: To give access to additional parent(s), repeat steps above.
If the applicable parent already has guest access, select “edit”, and change the parent’s Guest Access Control in the Financial Info section to “View All Access, Make Payment, Parent PLUS Loan”.
2Parent Applies for Parent PLUS Loan via Guest Access
Note: Your student must be offered a Parent PLUS Loan for you to be able to complete the application process.
- Parent logs into UAccess Guest Center. If this is your first time accessing Guest Center, refer to the new-user email for your username and password.
- Navigate to the Financial tab and select “Parent PLUS Loan Application” at the bottom to accept the loan.
- Select the Award Period and enter your Legal First and Legal Last Name, Social Security Number, and Date of Birth, then click “Submit”.
- Check the “Accept” box and then specify the dollar amount you wish to borrow (whole dollars only; no cents).
Loans for students enrolled the full academic year will be split evenly between the fall and spring semesters, be sure to accept the total loan amount needed for the entire school year!
Note: You are not required to borrow and may borrow less than the amount offered
- Complete the Parent PLUS Loan Application and click “Submit” and complete the rest of the application.
3Parent Completes a Loan Agreement (Master Promissory Note – MPN)
You must complete a new Parent Plus MPN with the U.S. Department of Education if:
- No actual loan funds were borrowed within 12 months of signing.
- Your current MPN has expired (MPNs are only valid for ten years).
- This is your first time borrowing a Federal Direct Parent PLUS loan at the University of Arizona.
- This is your first time borrowing a Federal Direct Parent PLUS loan at the University of Arizona for this student.
You were denied the Federal Direct Parent PLUS loan due to adverse credit and previously utilized an endorser. A MPN with an endorser is only valid for one loan; a new MPN and endorsement are required each time a Parent PLUS loan is requested.
Additional information about the Federal Direct Parent PLUS Application
If two different parents intend to borrow a Parent PLUS loan for the student:
- Have the first parent accept their portion of the Parent PLUS loan. Once this has been completed contact our office to be offered a second Parent PLUS loan for the other parent to accept.
- The student must provide each parent with Guest Access.
Learn about the interest rates, repayment and other important loan information here.