Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid
search icon
Twitter bird

How to Apply for Aid: Graduate Students

This page provides step-by-step instructions for UA graduate students interested in applying for federal financial aid. By completing your FAFSA, you begin the process to apply for grants, loans, and work-study. Follow the steps below to apply for your aid.

The FAFSA does not include scholarship opportunities. Graduate students may research and apply for scholarships on the Financial Aid scholarships page.

Apply for Graduate Admission to The University of Arizona:

Click the following link apply for graduate admissions:

When and where to apply for Federal Financial Aid:

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year to be eligible for financial aid.  The FAFSA is available January 1st of each year. Since funding for various programs is limited, we recommend you apply as early as possible.

What you need:

When applying, you will need a copy of the previous year’s Federal Tax Return for both you, and if dependent, your parent(s). You also will need the UA school code which is 001083. You should apply for a PIN number for you, and if dependent, your parent at so you can sign the FAFSA electronically.

After applying:

The Federal Central Processor System will send a confirmation to you entitled, Student Aid Report (SAR).  Students must review the report for accuracy and make any corrections or changes according to the instructions. If the SAR is correct, students should keep it for their records. The University of Arizona, Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid will receive your FAFSA/SAR information electronically.

How you are notified:

After you are admitted to the UA, the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid will review the FAFSA/SAR information, and determine the types and amounts of aid for which you are eligible.  You will receive Financial Aid Notification, which lists the aid you may receive while attending The University of Arizona for the upcoming year.

Check your Financial Aid Status:

Frequently utilize UAccess to check the status of your financial aid.  Be sure to respond promptly to any requests made by the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.

How to Accept Graduate Assistantship and Graduate Tuition Award

No action is required. However, you must be enrolled in the number of units listed on your Financial Aid Award Notification.

Unit requirement is also on your UAccess "financial aid status" page.

  • Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid, P.O. Box 210066, Tucson, AZ 85721
  • Phone: 520.621.1858
  • Fax: 520.621.9473