Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid
search icon
Twitter bird

General Financial Aid Questions

Financial aid encompasses any resource that you receive that assists you with paying for college expenses. Assistance from parents and income from work are excluded from this definition of financial aid. Financial aid may include federal and state grants, loans, work study, university and private scholarships, athletic scholarships, tuition and fee waivers, fellowships, assistantships, tuition reimbursement, ROTC awards, veteran’s benefits, and prepaid tuition programs.

Click on any question below to view the answer.

Do I need to be admitted to UA before I apply for financial aid?

No, you should submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to the federal processor as soon after January 1st as possible. By doing so, you will be sure to meet the priority filing date of March 1st. This will allow you to be considered for the maximum amount of gift aid for which you are eligible. However, we cannot award your aid until you are officially admitted.

What is COA?

COA is your Cost of Attendance. It is an estimate of what it may cost you to attend school. It includes tuition, fees, books, housing, utilities, food, and other miscellaneous expenses. It is not your actual budget. Student surveys, as well as residency classification and student housing choices, are used to determine your Estimated Cost of Attendance.

What is EFC?

EFC is your Expected Family Contribution. The information you report on the FAFSA is used in a formula established by the U.S. Congress to determine your EFC. Some of the factors used to determine your EFC are: taxable and non-taxable information; marital status; family size.

How is financial need determined?

Your EFC is used in the following equation to determine your financial need:

Cost of Attendance – Expected Family Contribution = Financial Need

Can I expect to receive financial aid if I apply?

Most students are eligible for some form of financial aid and are encouraged to apply regardless of their family's financial circumstance. Eligibility for financial aid programs can only be determined if you apply. Applying for financial aid is FREE using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You can use the FAFSA to apply to more than one school. Our school code for University of Arizona is 001083. The FAFSA is available from the financial aid office at any university or college, your high school counselor's office, or online at Make sure to allow enough time for processing, usually 6-8 weeks.

If I need more money what are my options?

If you have expenses that are not accurately reflected in your Cost of Attendance, you may complete a Cost of Attendance (Budget) Re-evaluation Form.

If your financial situation has changed due to changes in employment, divorce, death or loss of benefits then you may complete a Resource Re-evaluation form.

Please note: these evaluations do not always result in additional funding. These forms can be downloaded from Scholarships and Financial Aid Forms.

Can I get a computer with financial aid?

If you need a computer, or your program requires you to have a computer, you can complete a Cost of Attendance (Budget) Re-evaluation form. If this results in more aid, you may use these funds to purchase a computer. The Cost of Attendance Re-evaluation form can be downloaded from our webpage at Scholarships and Financial Aid Forms. When completing the form, attach a print out containing the cost and specifications of the computer you intend to buy.

How do I report additional resources I will receive?

If you received an outside scholarship or other aid, you will need to contact the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid with the name and amount of each resource.  We will include this information and adjust your financial aid award to ensure you are not in an overaward status.

Why was my aid reduced or cancelled?

Your aid may be reduced for a variety of reasons:

  • Your enrollment dropped after aid was awarded/disbursed
  • You received other aid not previously reported
  • You did not meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements
  • Change in residency status
  • Changes to your FAFSA

What are the minimum required units for financial aid?

It depends on the specific type of aid. For example, direct loans require half-time enrollment. Half-time for undergraduate students during the fall and spring semesters is 6 units. Half-time for graduate students during the fall and spring semesters is 5 units. Most scholarships require full-time status.

Can I receive aid on less than full time enrollment?

Your financial aid is budgeted for full-time enrollment. If you are attending less than full-time, your financial aid must be adjusted to reflect your actual enrollment. You will be notified via e-mail if any changes are made to your financial aid package due to this adjustment.

What will happen if I drop a class?

This may affect your eligibility for a number of financial aid programs, including scholarships, institutional grants and federal aid. It may also affect your Satisfactory Academic Progress status. Please contact our office to discuss your specific case.

  • Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid, P.O. Box 210066, Tucson, AZ 85721
  • Phone: 520.621.1858
  • Fax: 520.621.9473